Monday, March 26, 2018

I've been into "Bojack Horseman" on Netflix recently. Far less funny and far more engrossing than I had expected. In episode 11 it made a joke I wasn't sure if I should stop watching it over. I've been noticing I do that a lot, as if someone can decide for me. I grew up Catholic. All my life I outsourced my morality so someone else could tell me what was right and what was wrong. So many people do that: "I'm a Baptist." "I'm a Democrat."

I want to think for myself, but we don't exist in a vacuum. From birth, we're shaped by factors outside our control. I read recently "they" say our "selves" are 50% genetic, 40% societal, and 10% circumstantial, or something to that effect. What is the "self"? Is there one? I'm reading Consciousness Explained by Daniel C. Dennett, and he's careful not to use such language, but when some people say "we have no free will," they still use the word "we." Is it just hard not to think of ourselves as an entity, or are there "I's"?

No comments:

Post a Comment